In 2015, the World Buddhist Women’s Convention will be hosted in Canada by the Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Temples of Canada Women’s Federation (JSBTCWF) in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Embraced by the Oneness of Life is the theme for this prestigious, international event being held on Saturday, May 30 and Sunday, May 31, 2015. It is anticipated that 2,000 women and men of all ages will be in attendance.
The World Federation of Jodo Shinshu Hongwanji-ha Buddhist Women’s Association held the 1st World Buddhist Women’s Convention in Kyoto, Japan in 1961, and since then, the various member countries have had the honor of hosting the convention held every 4 years.
The convention is an opportunity for Jodo Shinshu followers to gather together on an international level; meet new people, learn together, share experiences and spread the circle of Dharma followers today and for generations to come. Originally, the convention was held for the women only, however, things have changed over the years and the convention now encompasses both men and women in the Jodo Shinshu Sangha or spiritual community.
The World Federation of Jodo Shinshu Hongwanji-ha Buddhist Women’s Association
The objective of the World Federation is based on the doctrine of Jodo Shinshu as its principle:
- To promote close liaison among all members of the Buddhist women’s associations throughout the world;
- To awaken the self-consciousness of Buddhist women;
- To advance a worldwide Buddhist women’s movement; and
- To work towards the welfare and peace among all mankind.
The members are:
- Jodo Shinshu Hongwanji-ha Buddhist Women’s Federation of Japan;
- Honpa Hongwanji Mission, Hawaii Federation of Buddhist Women’s Associations;
- Buddhist Churches of America Federation of Buddhist Women’s Associations;
- South America Honwanji Buddhist Women’s Federation; and
- Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Temples of Canada Women’s Federation.
Download a copy of the Convention Poster:
Full details and contact information: www.wbwconvention.com
The post 15th World Buddhist Women’s Convention, Calgary, 2015 appeared first on .