Shambhala Sun Foundation
Associate Art Director
We are seeking a colleague to join our editorial team to design elegant and effective layouts for the Shambhala Sun magazine, perform production- management duties, and undertake other design tasks to support the work of the Shambhala Sun Foundation.
The Shambhala Sun Foundation, an independent non-profit located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, is the publisher of the Shambhala Sun and Buddhadharma magazines and websites.
Working on the Shambhala Sun magazine, our new Associate Art Director will:
• work closely with the editorial and art departments to develop strategies and conceive of visual solutions for features and front- and back-of-book sections
• create layouts maintaining the unique look and feel of the publication
• find and commission art from photographers, illustrators, artists, agencies, museums, and galleries
• input editorial corrections, ensure that all files are properly prepared for press, and check online proofs
• oversee production schedules and liaise with the advertising department to ensure that deadlines are met and ads are properly integrated into layouts
• ensure other Art Department administration tasks are completed
• perform production management duties, including preparing print orders, print pricing, checking printer invoices, and production troubleshooting. The Associate Art Director is the primary interface between the Shambhala Sun Foundation and printer sales and customer service.
• create web, marketing and corporate materials as necessary to support the work of the Shambhala Sun Foundation
The ideal candidate will have an established record of success in magazine design. Other desirable characteristics include curiosity, creativity, and enthusiasm for publication design, attention to detail, strong problem-solving skills, and an ability to self-organize. Familiarity with the magazine and its subject matter is a plus.
Specific Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• Degree or diploma in Applied Arts or Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years relevant design experience
• Advanced knowledge of InDesign, working knowledge of Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator
• High-level understanding of typography
• Experience working with PDF workflows and pre-press
• Knowledge of CSS and HTML an asset
All candidates must provide a portfolio link or pdf of work samples.
Salary range: $36,000 to $45,000. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter with Associate Art Director in the subject line to Cindy Littlefair at email@example.com. We hope to have the new Associate Art Director in place by mid-April 2013. Submission deadline: March 22.
The post Shambhala Sun seeks Associate Art Director appeared first on .